[SI-LIST] Re: Ground vias around signal via

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 14:04:25 -0700

All vias that stitch the top and bottom of a Vss - Vss cavity together,
and bypass capacitors that stitch a Vdd - Vss cavity together are part
and parcel of the return path for all signals that penetrate the cavity.

Given some arbitrary stack-up with arbitrary ICs and bypass design and
arbitrary number of signals penetrating a cavity, there is insufficient
information to say whether or not a given noise and cross talk budget
will be satisfied.  If good practices are followed then often the vias
that exist naturally as part of the power interconnect are adequate.  If
they are not, then something has to change:  Signal routing, IE what
penetrates a given cavity, stack-up, and/or stitching.

This presentation shows examples with real measured data.
http://www.ipblox.com/pubs/SVCEMC_Feb_2012/How%20Bad%20is%20Bad.pdf

Best Regards,

Steve.

On 10/15/2014 12:32 PM, Lee wrote:
> You are correct.  Can't think of any case where they add value commensurate
> with their cost.
>
> Lee

Steve Weir
IPBLOX, LLC
1580 Grand Point Way
MS 34689
Reno, NV  89523-9998
www.ipblox.com

(775) 299-4236 Business
(866) 675-4630 Toll-free
(707) 780-1951 Fax

All contents Copyright (c)2013 IPBLOX, LLC.  All Rights Reserved.
This e-mail may contain confidential material.
If you are not the intended recipient, please destroy all records
and notify the sender.

List forum  is accessible at:

List archives are viewable at: