[SI-LIST] Re: Ground vias and the land of ID ("It Depends")

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Loyer, Jeff" <jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxx>, "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 10:35:37 -0400

Jeff
Very nice work.  Exactly what is predicted.  It gets better with
differential vias, due to field cancellation, but when you are looking at
TX to RX via aggression at the receiver side on a platform designed for
maximum reach (highest loss) you need something better than -60 dB
isolation.  That's 1 mV/ V at 10-to13 Gbps.  For 28G we need even better
than that.  500 uV/V should be the target  I try to design to a NEXT target
of -70 dB for Tx to Rx aggression and a FEXT target of -55 to -60 dB for
Rx-to-Rx and Tx-to-Tx aggression.  If designed cleverly, the additional
grounds do not need to take up much additional routing room.

In your Single ended simulation, it looks like you are using a pretty fast
rise time, but of course, DDR signals often have very fast rise times.
With no adherence to grounding you can see 4% crosstalk.  Seems small,
until you realize that there can be multiple simultaneous aggressors in the
vicinity, all in phase, that aggress against a victim.  With 40 mV/V of
crosstalk it does not take long before you start accumulating 100's of mV
of noise ( and the associated jitter) at a receiver. I am currently working
a design where a top ground was used, but at the memory modules, there were
no through vias to attach the top ground to the underlying planes, and
there were no ground stitch vias within a fairly large area between the
controller and the module.  Interesting things happen.  Needless to say,
there was a 50% bounce in a quiescent signal under SSO conditions, part of
which was crosstalk, part of which was true GND plane bounce.

BTW, if you hit the no-xtalk ground via design with a fast enough edge
rate, you will see ringing.  In your case, it is most assuredly out of
band, but it is quite possible to design via patterns, and ball patterns
that have built in resonances, in spite of the grounds.

Scott

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed® Consulting - A Division of Samtec
16 Stormy Brook Rd
Falmouth, ME 04105
(401) 284-1827 Business
http://www.teraspeed.com