[SI-LIST] Re: Ground clearance at connector vias

  • From: Jim G Roberts <jgroberts@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 17:26:22 +0100

Hi Scott,
        Much of our reseach was joint with FCI using there 10GHz test bed and
simulators.
        If I understand correctly, you are indicating that the genaration of the
parallel plate-mode is due to the anti-pad shape.
My experience is that the major source of paralle-plate mode comes from bending
the
transmission path. This will occur at the backplane connector since it is
orthognal.
The best way of reducing it is to ensure that the planes are shorted as close to
the pin/via as possible.
An added problem for press-fit which we use, is that dependent on the layer in
use,
you will end up with a stub due to the length of the pin.
Mostly this can be seen as additional capacitance but it is also an antennae
which
can launch other modes.
One of the solutions is to back drill, the other is to ensure that you exit the
connector at the bottom layer minimising the length of the stub.
--
Regards,    __________   James G Roberts
           /___  ____ |  jrobert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

List archives are viewable at: