[SI-LIST] Re: Ground Pour in Signal Layers

  • From: "Lee Ritchey" <leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Robert Haller" <rhaller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Chris Padilla (cpad)" <cpad@xxxxxxxxx>, ivorlist@xxxxxxxxxxx, Pradeep.RSA@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 14:41:22 -0800

Etching and plating are two very different operations.  Plating depends on
uniform current distribution.  Etching is done by spraying etchant onto the
surface and proceeds at the same rate over the entire surface.  All you
gotta do is ask a process engineer at a currently operating fab shop to see
if thieving is needed on inner layers.  every time I ask, the answer is no.

What may have been at some point in the past is not relevant.  What is, is
what todays' fabricators need and theiving on inner layers is not one of
them..

<ivorlist@xxxxxxxxxxx>; <Pradeep.RSA@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Cc: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: 2/23/2006 11:54:20 AM
> Subject: [SI-LIST] Re: Ground Pour in Signal Layers
>
> Lee, Chris
>   I worked in a board shop many years ago. My understanding of the
> original intention of adding thieving to signal layers was to promote
> consistent etching (or plating) and as a result even distribution of
> etch widths. The chemical process of etching inner layers is in general
> more consistent if there is an even distribution of copper across the
> panel (subtractive or additive processes - etching or plating both
> benefits).=20
>
> There are numerous subtleties like etching/plating varies from center to
> edge of the panel and what specific type of additive or subtractive
> processes, chemicals, electro plating, ... you are using.
> =20
> As folks have pointed out you must be very careful with spacing to
> critical signals and adjacent layer stripline pairs.=20
>
> We had some interesting arguments at the dinner table when
> "Auto-thieving" was first introduces at Digital - my brother is a
> Chemical Engineer, my mom is a Produce-ability (Manufacturing) Engineer
> and I am an EE .....
>
> Regards,
> Bob Haller
> Enterasys Networks=20