[SI-LIST] Re: Ground Pour in Signal Layers

  • From: "Chris Padilla (cpad)" <cpad@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ivorlist@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <Pradeep.RSA@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 08:51:00 -0800

"Ground" pour can serve several purposes:

(1) Create shielded islands
(2) Create some extra interplane capacitance (not sure how useful it is
for charge storage as it is most likely located electrically far from
the chip needing the current)
(3) Balance out a layer to avoid warpage issues and to ensure better
trace dimension (impedance) control

I think (3) is the big one:  Fab shops often request the ability to add
"thieving" in areas of sparse metal.  Some folks just go ahead and add
the metal pour and often sink several "ground" vias through it to
connect it up to something.  I forget the details why, but the fab shops
have better control of trace width if they don't have to etch away a lot
of metal.

As in all cases, such items can cause problems if not carefully handled
and thought through.

Chris Padilla
Cisco Systems
San Jose, CA