[SI-LIST] Re: Ground Pour in Signal Layers

  • From: "Gerry Gagnon" <mrgagman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: CurtM@xxxxxxxxxxx, rsefton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 23:52:25 +0000

I'll reply to Curt but I meant to reply to all.

Let me be specific what I was referring to with regard to my postback to
Rob.

I used the term, autotheiving, which was/is NOT copper pouring! It refers to
"post route" automation tools we used, which placed small copper squares on
alternating grid points on all signal layers everywhere there was room to do
so, subject to SI constraints on spacing in the X, Y, (and Z axes for
non-striplines). There were spaces between the squares, not continuous
copper as in a pour.

This methodology worked much better than copper pouring (which we tried) and
did not perturb signals electrically.

The only pain in the neck was the length of time to do all the spacing
checks......

Gerry

So the signal integrity aspect:

Either do it yourself so you know where it is.=20

Or --

Place a requirement on the fab drawing that requires approval of the
engineer. This is risky because sometimes the fab vendor will call your
layout department and the answer might not be what you would have said!

There is another perspective as well: thieving can destroy a clearance
and result in losing a safety approval. So it really is best to have
your layout team do it.

Overall it makes sense -- if you don't have to etch that copper away
then process times should decrease, yields should go up and life should
be better :-) None of this is huge, but all of our little efforts add
up!

                                                Curt

Curt McNamara. P.E.=20
Senior Electrical Engineer=20
Logic Product Development=20
411 Washington Ave. N Suite 101=20
Minneapolis, MN 55401=20
Tel 612-436-5178=20
Fax 612-672-0443=20
curtm@xxxxxxxxxxx=20
www.logicpd.com=20
protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you should
copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action
based on it, is strictly prohibited.