[SI-LIST] Ground Bounce and Bypass.

  • From: "John Ilett" <jilett@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 09:26:40 -0700

Hi all.
I have read in many a place that a good bypass
network helps the ground bounce issue.
ie. in Xilinx appnotes.

But nobody goes into any detail.

Is this really true?

If so, how does bypass help?  (the more detail, the better)

If it does help, I would assume that the discharge current
from a load capacitance(when switching the output from 1 to 0)
would have to somehow be split between the ground via and lead
and the bypass. Then I could get a rough estimate of the ground
bounce by putting the via and lead impedance/inductance in parallel
with the bypass (call the total Zt) and then:

Vbounce = I(discharge) x Zt

...not sure if the relavent bypass is at the transmitter or the
receiver.(clarify)

I would love to hear your comments.

Regards,

John Ilett