[SI-LIST] Re: Getting radiation from SOC signal to an HDMI driver. Can't explain the mechanism.

  • From: "Kenneth W. Egan" <kegan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "minertom11551@xxxxxxxxx" <minertom11551@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 18:00:27 -0500

HDMI has a clock embedded during the video sync periods on the data channels.
This would be at 10x the HDMI_CLK line.

This Email is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act: 18 USC
secs. 2510-2521
The information contained in this electronic mail message is privileged,
confidential or otherwise legally exempt from disclosure, in addition may be
subject to the attorney-client privilege and is intended solely for the use of
the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying,
distribution, or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this
message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error,
please notify me immediately and delete all copies of the message.

On Oct 11, 2012, at 1:48 PM, Tom Cipollone <minertom11551@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
> I am getting a fair amount of radiation from a point between a highly
> integrated system on a chip (SOC) and an HDMI driver IC. I have looked at
> the layout in this area and can't find anything that I can easily say is
> wrong. Microstrip over a ground plane. A bus carrying HDMI data (not TMDS
> yes) and a reference clock is being driven from the SOC to the HDMI
> converter/driver.
>
> I have run scans in an EMI lab many times and know that the frequencies are
> real, which relate to the HDMI video resolution of 1080i (approximately 741
> MHz and 370 MHz).
>
> "Near field" scans, done with an electric or magnetic probe attached to a
> spectrum analyzer, show that the *most* radiation comes from a series
> termination resistor on the clock line from the SOC to the HDMI driver. Of
> course, the clock is at 1/10 of the data switching frequency.
>
> Yes, this is odd. I have 741 MHz radiation from a clock running at 74 MHz.
> I can come up with some "mental" scenarios about crosstalk from the
> data lines getting onto the clock line but I have trouble believing them.
> The radiation has to be coming from something switching at 741 MHz and by
> some mechanism the high intensity point of that radiation is coming from
> the 74 MHz clock line, at the series termination resistor.
>
> Any ideas about this?
>
> Thank You
> Tom

> List forum  is accessible at: