[SI-LIST] Re: GS or GSG microprobes

  • From: Luca Giacotto <lgiacott@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SI-List <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 09:36:08 +0100

Thanks to everybody for the feedback.

=46rom  your replies, I got convinced that a GS probe is a better choice
for PCB-level general applications (GSG may still be interesting for
particular CPW situations).

It comes out also that the pitch is very important : the lower it is the
better it is, as is also pointed out in the Cascade application notes.
But it is hard to find a source giving quantitative data to compare
probes with different pitches.

Is there anybody who can give me some light on this point ?

My needs in bandwidth range from 5 GHz to 15 GHz.

Thanks in advance,
Luca

PS for Manjusha : Cascade has good application notes (with references to
IEEE articles) on its website about calibration procedures.

On Sun, 17 Feb 2002 15:50:42 -0500
"Manjusha Dawande" <manjusha_dawande@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> =20
>=20
> Hi,=20
>=20
> I would suggest you to select the pitch for GS or GSG probe carefully. Th=
> spacing between G-S or GSG depends on the properties of the board you are
> using. I have simulated this pitch using HFSS by providing all the detail=
> ofthe board such as thickness, dielectric constant, loss tangent, conduct=
or
> thickness, Cu amount etc. This helps in accurate CPW measurement.=20
>=20
> By the way, can anyone tell me the correct procedure for TRL calibration
> techniques if I want to design on CPW using GSG probes?=20
>=20
> Any good references on TRL? Feedback apprecited.
>=20
> Thanks.=20
> Manju

--=20