[SI-LIST] Re: GND vs Power as reference

  • From: "shengli07 ." <shengli.lin.sl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2013 18:42:33 -0700

Hi Brad,
Thanks for your detailed reply. The original post is about the stripline
with power or ground as reference. I'd like just to point out the trace
characteristic does not depend on the DC voltage level of the reference
plane.

Changing the reference plane along the signal path is another problem. Even
both ref planes are so called 'ground', for example, gnd1 and gnd2, if the
two 'ground' are not  decoupled correctly, there is still ref path
discontinuity.  As you said, SI and PI can't be separated in this case. A
good PI design should also take the return current path into consideration.

For changing the ref plane from package to PCB, we have both DDR3 and high
speed serdes work well by the careful design. Extra thoughts is needed, but
it is still doable.

Shengli Lin

List forum  is accessible at:

List archives are viewable at: