[SI-LIST] Re: GND vs Power as reference

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Hermann Ruckerbauer <Hermann.Ruckerbauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2013 15:00:14 -0400

Hermann
For frequencies above about 1 GHz, stitching caps do not help.  Just
compute the impedance of the mounted inductance.    400 pH mounted
inductance would be pretty aggressive for a capacitor mounted on the top
layer and attached to and L2/L3 ground/power pair, which would have an
impedance of 2.5 ohm at 1 GHz, 25 ohm at 10GHz, which is hardly a short
circuit.

The solution is to contain the power plane between ground planes, creating
a shorted super-cavity.

Scott

On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 2:48 PM, Hermann Ruckerbauer <
Hermann.Ruckerbauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello Stefan,
>
> the stitching cap is an interesting question ..  (at least for me ..)
> Up to a discussion with Eric Bogatin I also was telling people to place
> a cap for AC current return there ..
>
> Unfotunatelly Eric did a short calculation (he is MUCH better in theory
> than I am...) and with the involved inductances he came to the
> conclusion that they do not help for the desired frequency range  ...
> So currently I have no real solution what to tell people in such a case ..
>
> Maybe I missunderstood Eric and maybe he can comment if he is listening ..
>
> Hermann
>

> EKH - EyeKnowHow
> Hermann Ruckerbauer
> www.EyeKnowHow.de
> Hermann.Ruckerbauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Itzlinger Strasse 21a
> 94469 Deggendorf
> Tel.:   +49 (0)991 / 29 69 29 05
> Mobile: +49 (0)176  / 787 787 77
> Fax:    +49 (0)3212 / 121 9008
>
> schrieb Stefan Milnor:
> > Sometimes you just have to use the two different planes. Do the experts
> > believe in the "stitching cap" methodology? Where you take care to have
> > a capacitor connecting the two planes next to or near the via that
> > transitions the signals from one layer to another. Along with a liberal
> > sprinkling of these stitching caps in the route areas in question.

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
16 Stormy Brook Rd
Falmouth, ME 04105

(401) 284-1827 Business

http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

List forum  is accessible at:

List archives are viewable at: