[SI-LIST] Re: GND vs Power as reference

  • From: Bradley Brim <bradb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Orin Laney <olaney@xxxxxxxxx>, "gnuarm.2006@xxxxxxxxx" <gnuarm.2006@xxxxxxxxx>, "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2013 11:14:56 -0700

hello Orin and Rick,

I was trying to help understand the impact of defining simulation ports for a
stripline and also show at an intuitive level how the issues arise that Scott
is emphasizing.

An explicit choice was made in the example not include a VRM/PSU/PMIC because
the impact is more obvious without it. Including the VRM requires the return
current to flow all the way out to the VRM in one plane, through it and then
all the way back in the other plane. This forms a large loop - resulting in a
larger inductive parasitic, high crosstalk, high signal-to-PDN noise coupling,
EMI issues, etc. This loop is larger for dual (pwr/gnd) stripline reference
than for single (gnd/gnd) reference because the latter case typically has
stitching vias closer than the VRM. Scott's point!

Many SI analyses assume ideal power delivery; whether for component-level
extraction or system-level simulation. Assuming ideal power delivery has
serious implications. Assuming return current flows equally in the upper/lower
planes for a stripline is an assumption of ideal power delivery.

Relevant or not, I've already said enough on this topic.

best regards,
 -Brad