[SI-LIST] Re: GND Separation for Analog & Digital circuits

  • From: "Scott McMorrow" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Peter Salmon" <psalmon2000@xxxxxxxxx>,"silist" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 09:48:41 -0800

Peter,
I've not seen that article, but I do remember the Power Mesh program at
the University of Arkansas.  It was an interesting project designed
specifically for packages with microvia technology  They produced one
test package that I know of, and then dropped from my sight.   I've not
seen a production package created with this technology, which you should
know is patented by the University of Arkansas.  However, Power noise
was definitely increased, due to a higher inductance.  Whether this will
hurt your design is another matter from a power noise margin sort of
view.  When you route in such a way , the assumption that the power
traces are ideal goes right out the window.  They now affect the
neighbor signal lines.  This is no different than signal-to-signal
crosstalk and can be analyzed accordingly.  In fact, with a board level
SI tool like SpecctraQuest or Mentor ICX or Hyperlynx and a few tricks,
it  is possible to actually analyze this.  The trick is to fool the
tools into analyzing the power traces as signals, not as ideal power.  A
tool like Sigrity Speed2000 or PowerSI can do this without any tricks,
and was designed for packages and power analysis.

You have several sources of noise.

1) increased power noise from the increased inductance of the traces.
This increases the impedance of the power grid and thereby increases the
noise.  This can be modeled quite easily with a 2D field solver and
SPICE  for the average power trace in the system.

2) Traces have resonant frequencies that are all over the place.  When
you route these power traces and eventually tie them to the low
impedance of the package and the regulators, you create a 1/2 wave
resonator whos frequency of resonance is the inverse of the round trip
propagation delay of the structure.  For stripline in FR 4, the delay is
about 175 ps/in, or a round trip delay of 350 ps/in. These resonances
will reduce the effectiveness of your power distribution network.  They
will also tend to couple into other resonant structures like single
ended signal traces on a PCB.  When two resonators are close to the same
frequency, large amounts of energy between them can be coupled.  So,
there are two things to worry about.  First, that the power grid does
not resonate at any of the switching frequencies of the core or I/O
sections.  Second that resonant sections between signals and power do
not have similar resonant frequencies or multiples thereof.

3) Crosstalk between the power delivery grid and the signals.  When
current flows on the grid, it induces crosstalk on the signal lines.
For differential signals, this will be okay, as long as the power is
delivered symmetrically around the diff pair, then the noise will be
common mode and will  not affect the differential signals.  It will,
however, increase the common mode voltage on the differential pair, and
may very well cause your EMI to become sky high if the differntial
signal goes outside the box and loses containment.  By placing the power
adjacent to the signals, you force common mode currents to flow in a way
that will couple into the signals and increase the average noise.
Whereas, with a plane architecture, currents are able to flow in many
directions and can statistically cancel, or at least be significantly
reduced.   For signals going outside of the box, you will need to be
very careful about isolating them from these power switching currents on
the mesh, otherwise your emissions will go through the roof.  This will
be controlled by adequate spacing of the power grid away from the signals.

4) Layer 1 and 4 grounds will be torn up with holes from package escapes
and vias, which may be problematic for routing signals on the inner
layers.  Without the additional containment that power/ground plane
pairs can provide, and the rather continuous nature of inner power and
ground planes, signals will become de-referenced causing noise,
radiating apertures and increased emissions, unless you are extremely
careful about routing on the adjacent signal layers.

I'm not saying that this approach won't work.  Like any other solution,
it takes engineering, and is never as simple as it seems.  Two layer
boards for high volume consumer applications have been designed like
this for years.

best regards,

scott

--