[SI-LIST] Re: Fwd: vgs stress in digital cmos process

  • From: Christopher Jakubiec <Christopher.Jakubiec@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Robert.Kezer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 08:48:07 -0700 (PDT)

Your analysis is correct, however high electric fields at the drain cause not
only hot electrons, but electron hole pairs due to the high energy particle
collisions.  This in turn can inject electrons into the gate oxide (as you
stated), but can also generate hole current in the substrate that I have been
able to measure.  On the gate side, tunneling will occur along with charge
trapping/de-trapping in the gate oxide.  If enough charge traps are created and
a path from one side of the oxide to the other is formed, then essentially the
oxide has been ruptured.  All of these conditions on the gate oxide can
modulate
the threshold voltage.

List archives are viewable at: