[SI-LIST] Fwd: on-die eye capture theory

  • From: Istvan Nagy <buenoshun@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2015 16:29:50 -0700

Hi,
I have a theoretical question about how on-die eye capture works.
Would the resulting eye diagram display the physical signal eye, or it will
display the physical eye minus the slicer's imperfections (like tSU, tH,
and voltage hysteresis)?
Basically are they capable of displaying an eye, or only the eye-margin?
In a typical system (let's say 10Gbps) we don't have much margins, the
high-speed serial links are barely working, so the signal eye is normally
close to the minimum eye mask boundary, and the signal eye width is
comparable to the eye mask (slicer's minimum requirement for capturing
anything useful) width. If the slicer's requirement is subtracted from the
physical eye, then what we see is the left over aka margin.
Is this true or not, and why?

Here is a diagram explaining my reasoning:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/members/buenos-1317237-albums-picture-uploads-pic121475-ondie-eye-capture.png
Best regards,
Istvan Nagy

List forum is accessible at: