[SI-LIST] Re: [Fwd: coax to PCB transition - return loss]

  • From: "Scott McMorrow" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 09:39:18 -0700

 Ron,

I have a vertical (top mount) SMA design that I've simulated and
measured with the following characteristics:

Insertion loss -1 dB @ 16 GHz
Return loss -20 dB @ 12 GHz

With this top mount sma we see a worst case TDR profile off a Tek
TDS8000 17 ps head of 49 to 54 ohms.

This design has been correlated to 3D full-wave simulation by
measurement in both the time and frequency domain. As a result, I have
redesigned the launch to have the following characteristics.

Insertion loss -1 dB @ 27 GHz
Return loss -30 dB @ 12 GHz
-20 dB @ 22 GHz

with a simulated TDR profile of 50 ohms +/- 1 ohm.

Depending upon where the signal is that needs to be tested, the launch
can either be done from top or the back side of the board, which reduces
the via stub problem.

regards,

scott

--