[SI-LIST] Fw: Re: why do I need mixed mode S parameters?

  • From: axel stein <stein_axel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 06:49:06 -0800 (PST)

Hi Peter, Istvan,

yes, I made sure, that my port numbering is correct. I used the scheme, that is
at the very bottom of Jeff's email (port 1 and port 3 being the ports of the
differential pair on one end and port 2 and port 4 being the ports of the
differential pair at the other end).
I also made sure, that my unbalanced S-parameters were making sense. At low
frequencies, S21 and S43 were close to zero dB and S41 and S23 being below
-20dB.

One strange thing is, that if I separate all the unbalanced S-parameters in
real
and imaginary part (linear) and use the formula from Jeff separately for real
and imaginary, I end up in having the real part (or the imaginary part) of
Sdd21
already above 1 (amplified signal), which indicated to me already, that there
is
something wrong.

Any idea what could be wrong?

My Agilent PNA-X is saving the S-parameters in dB-angle format (angle should be
in degrees, not radians). I have converted the amplitude to linear by using
Sxx_lin = 10^(Sxx_dB / 20). The separation in real and imaginary was done by
multiplying with cos(angle) and sin(angle).

I can't find, where my blunder is, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
axel

--- On Wed, 12/22/10, Peter.Pupalaikis@xxxxxxxxxx <Peter.Pupalaikis@xxxxxxxxxx>

List technical documents are available at: