[SI-LIST] Re: Fw: Re: S-parameter simulation in Time Domain

  • From: Steve Corey <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 13:07:55 -0800

Hi Larry -- In my experience, the pivotal issues in good eye simulation
are accurate driver models and accurate interconnect models.  It sounds
like you have the former covered in SPICE.  Our IConnect software helps
you extract accurate SPICE models for any interconnect elements for
which you have measured data, including lossy transmission lines.

As you have stated, using SPICE clearly allows you to rigorously
incorporate the nonlinearity inherent in your drivers into your
simulation, as long as you have accurate models of each.  An earlier
statement that it is necessary to go to a linear simulation in the
presence of loss and dispersion is not accurate -- nonlinear drivers and
lossy, dispersive interconnects can definitely be simulated together in
SPICE, resulting in accurate eye prediction.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure where my reply fits on your requested A-F
grading scale...

   -- Steve

Steven D. Corey, Ph.D.
Time Domain Analysis Systems, Inc.