[SI-LIST] Re: Frequency criterion in power plane_Power integrity

  • From: "gurunath vinayakrao kulkarni" <gurunath.kulkarni@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 09:04:41 +0530

Unsubscribe
----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Cheng" <chris.cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, May 17, 2002 5:49 AM
Subject: [SI-LIST] Re: Frequency criterion in power plane_Power integrity

> The best "decoupling" is to reference your DDR signals between
> the vterm(1.25V) plane and ground. The tight coupling provide
> the lowest possible impedance path between the signals and
> the return path to vterm. The pair vterm and gnd plane that
> sandwich the signals also provide the initial decoupling
> for the vterm. You take care of the return current to
> driver power through on-die decoupling. Unless you are
> prepared to simulate the whole loop between the driver,
> signal trace, planes, via, rterm pads, you will not be able
> to undertand the level of decoupling you need. This is
> not a simple power impedance analysis between power
> source and driver.
> The switching rate of the vrm depends on what you use
> but that is a bulk decoupling issue where you can use
> the simple formula of
> I*t=C*dv where I is the peak current (probably with
> activity derating), t is the supply switching time
> C is the total cap you need, dv is the voltage
> drop you can live with. I would use .01uf,.1uf or 1uf for
> the quantity of capacitance you can calculate based
> on the formula. Anything with capacitance smaller
> than .01uf will be a waste of money on a regular
> PCB.
> When all is said and done, still don't need to
> simulate. Don't waste your time (unless you are
> prepared to build the above mentioned model).
>
> Chris

-- File: InterScan_Disclaimer.txt

Information contained in this E-MAIL being proprietary to Wipro Limited
is 'privileged' and 'confidential' and intended for use only by the
individual or entity to which it is addressed. You are notified that any
use, copying or dissemination of the information contained in the E-MAIL
in any manner whatsoever is strictly prohibited.

List archives are viewable at: