[SI-LIST] Re: Finding Parasitics in a trace

  • From: wolfgang.maichen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Dan <signal.integrity2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 13:44:28 -0700

Mani,

assuming constant cross section of the trace, any 2D field solver can give
you inductance per unit length (multiply by the trace length to get total
inductance). Note that what really counts is the loop inductance (as
opposed to self inductance), which depends not only on the power trace
length and width, but also on its distance to the ground return plane(s).
The 2D field solver correctly handles this.

A free field solver is e.g. TNT/MMTL, available from Sourceforge or from my
website (http://www.testtechniques.com --> Free Tools).

Wolfgang

From:   Dan <signal.integrity2@xxxxxxxxx>
To:     si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date:   05/04/2011 01:01 PM
Subject:        [SI-LIST] Finding Parasitics in a trace
Sent by:        si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi All,
 i have a power trace in which i need to caluclate the parasitic resistance
and inductance between the load and decap. could anyone help me how can i
find the parasitic resistance and inductance in a trace?
Thank You
Mani

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net