[SI-LIST] Re: Fibre channel interconnect margins

  • From: "Chris Reid" <chris.reid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <steven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "SI-List" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Alan.Hiltonnickel@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 16:16:43 -0700

Gaussian distributions are good approximations for many phenomena because of
the central-limit theorm, but certainly the noise in a circuit is not
actually unbounded.  The real upper limit would be the result of some
quantum-mechanical computation, which is not pratical to use.  Even
classical mechanics provides limits to otherwise unbounded distributions
sometimes.  For example, the Boltzman distribution tells us the distribution
of the speeds of individual molecules in a gas at a certain temperature.  It
is unbounded.  However, if it were derived again taking special relativity
into account the upper limit would be the speed of light.  If you further
took quantum mechanics into account, then any molecule moving fast enough
would be ionized by collisions, and thus suffer other types of losses
(radiation for example) further modifying the distribution.

In physics there are no real infinities (except as far as we know at the
center of a black-hole, but some people argue with that too.)

Christopher E. Reid
Chief Scientist and Founder
Pressando SI
9315 SW Lake Street