[SI-LIST] Re: Fibre channel interconnect margins

  • From: "Steven Kan" <steven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 09:46:59 -0700

> Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 21:48:56 -0700
> From: Alan.Hiltonnickel@xxxxxxx
> Subject: [SI-LIST] Re: Fibre channel interconnect margins
>
> In fact, I think that companies DO ship products that toss a random
> error approximately every 10e-xx or so. Why? Because the statistical
> theory behind those errors is that random/Gaussian noise is, by
> definition, unbounded - errors are a fact of life, even if the error
> rate is very low.

I suppose we're way off in the weeds, here, but is the noise actually
unbounded? Or does it just behave in a Gaussian-like manner within the realm
of times/rates that matter for shipping product? I suppose if I sat in my
chair for long enough, a truly unbounded system might cause a gold bar to
pop into existence on my desk, but my empirical GBR (gold-bar rate) is
currently 0.

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org