[SI-LIST] FW: Re: Series Termination Question

  • From: Mike Cantwell <Mike.Cantwell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 09:06:05 -0500

Having spent many of my past years on the EMC side of the world, I can say
that sometimes your line of thinking bcomes more of how to troubleshoot
emissions problems rather than true design. The only reasoning I can see for
R3 is to isolate that piece of etch to determine if it radiates. I agree
that it won't necessarily help signal integrity or performance.

The other thing that happens very frequently on the EMC side is that
designers don't take the time to explain why they've designed it that way.
As such, it's rather difficult for EMC engineers to keep up with
technologies and design techniques. The things one needs to know as a
designer are different than those for an EMC engineer. They are two
professions in their own rights.

What I would recommend is to share your simulation results or to forward one
of the good SI articles in your stash with this regulatory person and take
the time to discuss it with them. It will inevitably be a learning
experience and will provide all with a better working relationship.

All this said from someone who has been on both sides of the fence with
respect for both sides.

Mike