[SI-LIST] FW: Re: SMA Connectors

  • From: "Kauffman, Roger" <Roger.Kauffman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pgundala2001@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 10:26:11 -0500

 Padma,

Please allow me to clarify some information I've seen on the posts regarding
the Molex SMA, 73251-1850.  I also want to thank both Scott and Julian for
their kind words about our connector's performance.

These high performance SMA connectors are a pressure contact variation of our
27 GHz SMA field-replaceable connector.  George Hubbard (retired) worked
closely with Scott and the Molex SI group to develop a variant that was more
forgiving during assembly to a PCB by creating a "stub" contact that protrudes
just a few thousandths beyond the circular ground ring on the connector flange.
 The contact is captured inside the connector using some traditional methods
combined with some proprietary processes to optimize performance.  Tolerances,
materials and impedance compensation in these high performance SMA connectors
are more tightly controlled than our standard SMA offering that work to 18 GHz.
 We have expanded our offering, based on customer feedback to include the
mounting screws for attaching the connector to a PCB; 73251-1851.  We also
offer a smaller flange geometry (10mm) for higher density SI boards; 73251-3480.

These connectors are manufactured in our facility in Indianapolis, Indiana.
We've seen significant acceptance of these connectors worldwide and increasing
volumes.  Pricing is much less than the $40.00 price point you have referenced.
 At 100 pieces, our price for 73251-1850 is $14.00 each and lead-time is 6
weeks.  It's quite possible; however, that one of our distributors is quoting
higher prices for smaller quantities.

Thank you for your interest in our 73251-1850.  I hope I've helped provide a
better understanding of our pricing and offering.

Regards,

Roger Kauffman
Marketing/Sales Manager - RF Products
(317) 834-5600 ext. 219