[SI-LIST] Re: FW: Re: Question related to HFSS: Zpi, Zpv, Zvi difference

  • From: Ray Anderson <Raymond.Anderson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 15:08:49 -0800 (PST)

Francis makes valid points in his recent posting, however perhaps
I need to make clear that my recent posting regarding the use of
CAD tools by students was not meant to imply that students should
learn theory from the use of tools. I'm not certain how that
interpretation came about.

University education certainly has a theoretical component that is
supported by study of texts and lecture material. It also has a
hands on component supported by lab work and tool use.

If a student is attempting to use some SI CAD tool to support
their research or lab work and runs into a tool issue, referring
to the class theory text almost assuredly won't shed light on
the tool issue.

It also cannot be assumed that local resources at the university will
always be helpful in explaining the intracacies of specific CAD tools.
Specific questions will need to be posed to the tool vendor or a
user group for resolution if the prof, TA, or local support staff can't
provide a satisfactory answer.

-Ray Anderson

>Some people said that I have not written on this list for a while, so I
>make some comments:
>
>     The students should learn theory from books at school, not from
>vendor tools. If a student goes for using tools to build up his (or her)
>resume, and does not drill in theory, he or she will surely fail in
>their career. University education is very important in a student's
>career.
>
>Francis Kai

List archives are viewable at: