[SI-LIST] FW: Re: Question related to HFSS: Zpi, Zpv, Zvi difference

  • From: "Fasig, Jonathan L." <fasig.jonathan@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 15:12:34 -0600

Hmmm.  I thought the si-list was an open forum for exchange of technical
information, not just an extension of somebody's license manager.  I was
really disappointed to see this thread get shut down before being addressed,
especially since I already paid my HFSS maintenance fee and called the Apps
Engineer (last week) and listened politely while he read me the brief text
on Characteristic Impedance from the online HFSS Technical Notes, which I
had already seen.  In addition, I found the cited reference (Bianco et al,
"Some considerations about the Frequency Dependency of the Characteristic
Impedance of Uniform Microstrips," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and
Techniques, Vol.MTT-26 No.3, March 1978) to be particularly uninsightful
except for the observations that "it must be stressed that slightly
different definitions ... yield strongly different behaviors" and "the above
results show that particular care has to be taken both in computer
calculations and in interpretation of experimental data to avoid confusion."
This ambiguity is further highlighted by Getsinger ("Microstrip
Characteristic Impedance" IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and
Techniques, Vol.MTT-27, No.4, April 1979) who opens with "Bianco et al [1]
have recently defined microstrip characteristic impedance in five ways,
based on three definitions of voltage and one of current.  They find that
the different impedances do not have the same functional dependence on
frequency.  Since they do not discuss the merits of the differing
definitions, the reader may assume that all are equally valid
representations of microstrip characteristic impedance."  I was unable to
locate a copy of the second cited reference, Kuester et al,
"Frequency-Dependent Definitions of Microstrip Characteristic Impedance"
from the 1980 International URSI Symposium on Electromagnetic Waves, so I
don't know if it clarifies this mater or not.

So the question stands:  How does one decide which impedance definition to
use?  If anyone understands this then I'd invite them to discuss it, via the
si-list or direct, and I can send them my HFSS license file or whatever it
takes to show that nobody's support revenue is being undermined.

Of course, all this would be unnecessary if the HFSS documentation explained
it clearly to begin with.

Sincerely,
Jonathan Fasig