[SI-LIST] FW: Re: Clock Jitter

  • From: Richard Jungert <r_jungert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>, <hermann.ruckerbauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, greg pietz <greg.pietz@xxxxxx>, si list freelist <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 08:53:44 -0700

Here is a simple suggestion to determine if it is the oscillator power/ground
or pcb is causing or adding more jitter.

Take the oscillator out of the pcb circuit and set up a high frequency
synthesizer to run at the right frequency. Makes sense. OK. Now with a small
high frequency cable like an RG316 or better, connect synthesizer to the
oscillator output in the circuit with solder and cluge and run the board full
speed with the synthesizer. Now do a new jitter test, hopefully jitter is much
less.

This is a common type test I have used as well as others to isolate and
understand clock problems.

make sense?

Richard Jungert

From: r_jungert@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx; hermann.ruckerbauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; greg.pietz@xxxxxx;
si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [SI-LIST] Re: Clock Jitter
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 08:35:40 -0700

Random voltage changes on the switching threshold is done in the oscillator
right? How is that done, with random variations on power or ground in the
oscillator.

That is why I am promoting good filtering on the oscillator. Lets say the
changes to the impedance will cause changes and create new fixed variables in
impedances. Now we have a new set of fixed variables.

I would recommend blocking the source of random energy. Isolate it if you will
so that the problem sources can't change it. Its nice to know too what
frequencies that are causing the modulation.

Richard Jungert

> Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 08:13:35 -0700
> From: weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx
> To: r_jungert@xxxxxxxxxxx
> CC: hermann.ruckerbauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; greg.pietz@xxxxxx;
> si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [SI-LIST] Re: Clock Jitter
>
> Jitter is any variation in the time the signal ( pair ) crosses the
> switching threshold. It has both random and deterministic sources.
> Richard Jungert wrote:
> > I don't quite get how small changes in board construction can increase
> > jitter.
> > If one isolates the oscillator with good power filters and good ground
> > plane splits then how can the noise get in to modulate the oscillator?
> >
> > Jitter is all about randomness right?
> >
> > Richard Jungert
> >

> > > Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 16:48:00 +0200
> > > From: hermann.ruckerbauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > > To: r_jungert@xxxxxxxxxxx
> > > CC: greg.pietz@xxxxxx; si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > > Subject: [SI-LIST] Re: Clock Jitter

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > although some explantions came back I guess the orignal question was not
> > > really answered. What can be the difference in PCB manufacuring to
> > > increase jitter ?
> > >
> > > I think the hint to power/ground noise is quite good. We have seen, that
> > > the Copper thickness is varying quite a bit with different vendors, what
> > > might cause a difference in power noise between the different boards.
> > > But what would worry me is, that such a small change should change your
> > > design from pass to fail. If your design is that critical it is not
> > > stable enough for HVM (high volumen manufacturing). In a volume
> > > production you will see a certain distribution of the Power plane
> > > thickness what could be a big problem for sutch a design.
> > >
> > > As you measured your impdance and confirmed the same value I would not
> > > really expect the issue to come from the dielectric properties. If they
> > > would change too much this would influence er and therefore the
> > > impedance. Overall I would not really see this to cause a bigger change
> > > for the Jitter (but is 20ps really a bigger change ??)
> > >
> > > What I would see as another possiblilty is e.g. the size of Anti-pads.
> > > If there are some Anti-pads along the current return they might even
> > > create a cut in the Ground plane when the PCB manufacterer does some
> > > overetch. Basically it might be possible to see such things in the TDR,
> > > but maybe the effect is big enough to shift a reflection a bit, but not
> > > easily see it as difference in the TDR.
> > >
> > > regards
> > >
> > > Hermann
> > >

> > > EKH - EyeKnowHow
> > > Hermann Ruckerbauer
> > > www.eyeknowhow.de
> > > hermann.ruckerbauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > > Veilchenstrasse 1
> > > 94554 Moos
> > > Tel.: +49 (0)9938 / 902083
> > > Mobile: +49 (0)176 / 787 787 77
> > > Fax: +49 (0)721 / 151 258 230

> > getting> > > into the oscillator.

> [...]

Windows Live? SkyDrive?: Get 25 GB of free online storage. Get it on your
BlackBerry or iPhone.

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: