[SI-LIST] Re: FW: Question: Hetrodyne Mixer ?

  • From: Raymond Anderson <Raymond.Anderson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 21:23:59 -0800

I'm not really familiar with the application the mixer is being
suggested for (charge measurement)in the article, however to answer your
question about 'heterodyne' mixers, a heterodyne mixer is basically a
mixer whose output frequency is at either sum or difference of the local
oscillator and input frequency (Fif = Frf +/- Flo). The typical
application of mixers in radio applications has historically been in
this heterodyne mode. When the local oscillator and the RF signal are at
the same frequency the resultant zero frequency (DC) output is commonly
used as one type of phase detector where the maximum DC output occurs
when the RF and LO signals are in phase quadrature. This is sometimes
called homodyne operation. Besides phase detection this zero IF mode is
also used in direct conversion receivers. In the past these applications
had been typically low performance receivers, however with the
development of DSP techniques, the zero IF conversion scheme has become
a very important tool. Volumes and volumes have been published on
mixers, so the above comments barely scratch the surface of the topic.

Ray Anderson
Staff SI Engineer
Sun Microsystems Inc.

Abdulrahman Rafiq wrote:

> This is actually not really a signal integrity question, however I
> thought someone here might be able to help me out by explicitly
> explaining what is meant by an Hetrodyne Mixer, in general. I have an
> idea of what it is, perhaps the term "hetrodyne" is misleading. I tried
> looking here for an explaination: http://www.analog-rf.com/mixer.shtml .
>
> This question is in relation to the following paper:
> R.knobel, C.S.Yung, A.N.Cleland Single-electron transistor as a
> radio-frequency mixer, Phys Rev. Letters, 81, (2002)
> http://www.iquest.ucsb.edu/sites/knobel/mixerset_preprint.pdf
>
> This particular mixer can be used high-frequency ultrasensitive charge
> measurments over a broad and tunable range of of frequencies.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help
>
> Regards,
>
> Abbey

> Abdulrahman Rafiq