[SI-LIST] FW: Digest Number 1005

  • From: "Thomas Beneken" <beneken@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <castell@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 15:42:28 +0100

Hi Joan,

we had a similar problem with an older Advantest spectrum analyzer recently
when we switched to the USB-GPIB-Adapter: IBWRT worked, IBRD and the *IDN?
query didn't.
a) cables and connectors were checked ok
b) the *IDN? query was not implemented in the analyzer (it's now mandatory
with 488.2)
c) the default setting for the delimiters in the API properties changed

Check your GPIB cables and connectors. You may be able to adress the device
but fail to transmit data due to intermittents. Remember the whole bunch of
handshake lines in this parallel interface. It's a good idea to check the
communication on API level with MAX.

Regards
Thomas

   From: "joan vicent castell" <>
Subject: Old Anritsu spectrum analyzer

Hi everybody,

We've got a MS2601B, Anritsu Spectrum Analyzer that can do EMI measurements
connected to a computer via GPIB port.

Recently we changed the GPIB card to a new one  (National Instruments,
model: 183617"k"-01, and the NI488.2 protocol ).

And all the other instruments worked well but the Anritsu.

I have a problem when I send instructions as IBWRT or IBRD, the device
doesn't make anything, but it works when I send IBCLR or IBLOC, so I don't
know what happens to it.

I was working perfectly with the old HPIB card, and using instructions as
IOOUTPUTS or IOENTERS.
I'm doing my programs en TurboC (old card) and in Delphi (new one). I don't
use Labview.

Maybe to communicate with this Spectrum Analyzer it's necessary to compile
the programs with a special file or library that I don't have.

Also when i start the MAX 2.0 (Measurement & Automation Explorer) NI
program, doesn't answer to the *IDN? query or to the specific commands (to
control de instrument) I send to it.

Does anybody have an idea of what is or what can be the problem?
Need your help, please.

Thanks,

Joan Castell
Guillem Mello