[SI-LIST] FW: Decoupling for PLL (continued)

  • From: Geoff Stokes <gstokes@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 09:38:38 +0100

Hello Zhangkun

It may be that Al Neves was pointing you in the right direction, and you
should look closely at the sidebands and possible coupling paths.

It reminds me of a radio receiver LO synth (PLL) problem I had some years
ago.  The divider, working at around 1GHz initially used a pre-scaler chip
in a DIL package (!).  The decoupling used chip capacitors, but the package
lead inductance would be larger than a typical SMD package.  The division
ratio was 64, producing an output of about 15 MHz suitable for input into
the lower frequency PLL circuit: divider, flip-flop phase detector working
at around 1 MHz or less, and loop filter amplifier.  The loop filter drives
the VCO.  The receiver was desensitised for a reason that was difficult to
find, until it was realised that a harmonic of the 15 MHz fell in the
receiver IF band.  I developed a theory that somehow this might be leaking
into the IF in an unexpected way.  A high pass filter at the VCO output
showed that the effect was not due to direct low frequency coupling (15 MHz
etc) in that path.  In another crazy experiment, I ran the RF connection to
the prescaler as a connectorised cable.  I inserted a 1 GHz ferrite isolator
which would be expected to attenuate RF signal flow in the reverse direction
from the VCO.  The sensitivity improved.  Now, a loose coupling on the VCO
output to a spectrum analyser showed that there were in fact low level
sidebands, spaced at 15MHz and harmonic multiples.  Further test showed that
the harmonics were generated in the prescaler: the common power supply
connection (and possibly the ground connection)which is inductive in the
package, was coupling the output 15MHz square wave to the prescaler input
stage, where it was mixed with the RF to produce the sidebands.  This took a
very long time to find.

Cheers
Geoff

Zetex Semiconductors - Solutions for an analog world

http://www.zetex.com

E-MAILS are susceptible to interference. You should not assume that
the contents originated from the sender or the Zetex Group or that they
have been accurately reproduced from their original form.
Zetex accepts no responsibility for information, errors or omissions in
this e-mail nor for its use or misuse nor for any act committed or
omitted in connection with this communication.
If in doubt, please verify the authenticity with the sender.

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org

List archives are viewable at: