[SI-LIST] Eye diagram and port definition in IBIS

  • From: "Muranyi, Arpad" <arpad.muranyi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 14:29:55 -0700

Gary,

Regarding your question at the end, I looked over the IBIS spec,
and found that there is no definition in the spec for what a port
is.  From the writing it appears that the author(s) had electrical
connectivity in mind (voltages and currents), because "digital port"
and "analog port" is all over the spec.  However, in a broader
sense, we could think about digital and analog as discrete or
continuous, and as such they could refer to anything, such as
fluidic, thermal, mechanical, etc..., not just electrical.

So the IBIS spec needs a clarification to define this better.  As it
stands, someone could write an [External Circuit] with mechanical
ports to model the mechanical interactions between speakers and
the electronics, or model heat sinks through thermal ports... etc.

So according to the letter of the law it is not prohibited, but I
don't think it was intended either.  It better be defined,
otherwise we may be in for a surprise down the line...

Arpad