[SI-LIST] Re: Eye diagram

  • From: <gil.simsic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <saoer.sinaga@xxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 01:43:17 +0900

Dear Mr. Sinaga

Eye-diagram is (to my opinion) the best way to indicate many aspects of a
signal 'health' or integrity
You can figure out -
The rise/fall time degradation (refers to the time axis)
Jitter (which can further break down) (refers to the time axis as well)
The amplitude degradation (some call it the opening on the voltage axis)
Any ringing/reflections or other variation of amplitude in the part that is
suppose to be 'steady state'

So when comparing two or few eye diagrams I would compare the above
mentioned parameters.
To your question there could be 5% deviation in one the above mentioned

By the way the Jitter is the most fascinating aspect to compare as it can
further break down to different aspects that contribute to Jitter, so each
one of those can vary by 5%

Best regards
Gil