[SI-LIST] Re: Even mode, common mode, and mode conversion

  • From: "Fred Balistreri" <fred@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 10:51:41 -0800

There have been excellent responses on this subject. Perhaps one may better
understand the
meaning of odd, even modes by looking at the equations from where they
originate:
Given that there are 2 lines wrt gnd or some plane or in the microwave
description 3 lines, with
one being a reference and given the Maxwell's LC matrix then:

Odd = sqrt  L11-L12/C11+|C12|
Even = sqrt  L11+L12/C11-|C12|

Note that the loop inductance is minimized and capacitance maximized for odd
mode. The opposite is
true for the even mode. Thus the differences in impedance. The coupling is
the key.
Note that in Maxwell's C matrix the mutual capacitance is desginated as
negative, therefore the absolute brackets.

Best Regards,