[SI-LIST] Re: Even mode, common mode, and mode conversion

  • From: Steve Corey <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 08:22:40 -0800

Chris -- The nomenclature that Mary is using is standard in transmission
line theory, in which the ground plane is counted as a third conductor.
Transmission line theory at a high level treats the ground plane as an
additional conductor, the same as it would treat, for example, the second
wire of a twisted pair as a second conductor.  While each may have
different capacitive, inductive, and loss effects on the system, each is
nevertheless a conductor.  So two wires with no ground plane, e.g.
twisted pair, is called a two-conductor system, and has one mode.
Likewise, a single trace over a ground plane is also called a
two-conductor system, and has one mode.  Two traces running over a ground
plane is called a three-conductor system, and has two modes, as she
correctly stated.  In the general case, an (n+1)-conductor system is said
to have n modes.  Mary, please correct me if I have misconstrued your
usage.

  -- Steve

List archives are viewable at: