[SI-LIST] Re: Even mode, common mode, and mode conversion

  • From: Steve Corey <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 08:22:31 -0800

Mary -- you are correct in that the signals can be broken down according to an
infinite number of orthogonal bases.  However, the significance of the even and
odd modes is not that they are orthogonal.  Their significance is that they are
the eigenvectors of the system (although they happen to be orthogonal in this
case).  A non-degenerate system (i.e., all distinct eigenvalues) has only one
eigenvector basis, so yes, they are special.  The modes do propagate
independently, but so does any excitation, due to linearity and superposition.
The significance is that the eigenvectors, applied as a similarity transform to
the system matrix, diagonalize the matrix, which decouples all of its
eigenvalues, which correspond to the modes of the network.  The equations are
then easily viewed as the superposition of each mode propagating
independently.  Transmission line theory and analysis has relied on this
powerful tool for many years.

Any signal can be decomposed into a weighted combination of the different modes
by doing an eigendecomposition.  Each mode can be analyzed independently using
its characteristic propagation velocity and attenuation (which is the
associated eigenvalue, or propagation constant).  Finally, the responses can be
recombined, by inverting the eigendecomposition, into a final result.  It is
this recombination (superposition) of modes, each often with its own
propagation velocity, attenuation, and characteristic impedance, that causes
the distortion to which Eric was referring.  Using some arbitrary set of
orthogonal or non-orthogonal vectors to decompose and recombine the system will
not result in each component propagating independently with a characteristic
propagation constant and impedance, and will be of little analytical value.
And note that if you actually excite the system with one of its eigenmodes,
there is no need to decompose it before modal analysis or recombine it after
modal analysis -- one of the system's instrinsic modes is propagating with its
associated propagation constant -- without distortion, as Eric has pointed
out.  This is what makes excitation using one of the eigenmodes different from
using just any excitation vector, orthogonal or not.

You are correct in implying that in a lossless, homogeneous medium all modes
propagate with the same velocity and impedance.  However, I think many
designers on this list are operating in the presence of skin loss, dielectric
loss, and/or inhomogeneous media, and if any of these factors is present, the
modes will split.  So I think varying propagation velocities of different modes
was a valid point for an earlier poster to bring up, and need not confuse the
issue, even though it may lead to a more complicated analysis than the ideal
lossess, homogeneous case.

  -- Steve

List archives are viewable at: