[SI-LIST] Re: Even mode, common mode, and mode conversion

  • From: Chris Cheng <chris.cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'mary@xxxxxxxxxxxx'" <mary@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 16:51:36 -0800

Here is the problem. We are confusing the classical
definition of TEM odd/even mode (which only happen
in a two line transmission line system) and the
generic SI term of odd/even mode in crosstalk
analysis.

A three conductors TEM mode transmission line system
has three not two modes. What you are describing is
the generic SI engineering term of analyzing the
worst case impact of aggressor to the victim lines
where the aggressors are switching in the same
direction as the victim (even) or opposite (odd).
There is no TEM odd or even modes involved. You
can even extend this definition to an N line
system. The propose of such analysis is to
understand the worst case impact of a victim line
(signal degradation and propagation variation)
under the worst case impact of crosstalk.

May be we should drop the TEM mode definition so as
not to confuse people more ?