[SI-LIST] Re: Ethernet emissions.

  • From: Todd Hubing <HUBING@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "<si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2013 21:00:54 +0000

Curt raises some good points. I don't think anyone was advocating that the
ground plane needed to extend beneath the magnetics. There are sometimes valid
reasons (all low-frequency concerns) for keeping the plane away from the
secondary. Also, as you mention, it is important to keep high-frequency signals
and the VCC plane away from the secondary side of the connector magnetics. I
believe most designers do a good job of following these guidelines.

Even if Bryan's ground plane did extend completely under the connector, it was
not the source of his radiated emissions problem. The ground plane doesn't
bring the high-frequency noise to the cable. The radiated emissions are the
result of the cable being driven at a different high-frequency potential
relative to the ground plane.

I'd like to comment on Joel's observation about the vendor application notes
though. Many products with a metal chassis require low-frequency isolation
between their circuit ground plane and their chassis ground. Low-frequency
transient currents need to be directed to the chassis ground and kept off the
circuit ground. Anyone that is designing a product in a metal chassis with
high-speed Ethernet on a two-layer board, may want to consider putting their
chassis ground and digital ground on the same board layer and stitching them
together with a large number of capacitors. This was apparently the
state-of-the-art when many of these app notes were written. :)

However if your board has 4 or more layers, and if you need to isolate your
chassis ground and digital ground; then you should put the chassis ground on a
different layer than the digital ground plane and they should overlap in the
region near the connectors and be stitched together with capacitors. Most
boards I've seen fall into this category.

At high frequencies, we can only have one ground. Any two pieces of metal of
significant electrical size that are not at the same potential can present a
radiated emissions problem. Bryan's product only had one ground, so the main
concern was not to split it and not to add another ground at a different
potential.

Todd

Todd Hubing

LearnEMC.com<http://www.learnemc.com/>