[SI-LIST] Re: Ethernet emissions.

  • From: Todd Hubing <HUBING@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "<si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2013 17:54:38 +0000

Bryan,

Please don't cut up your ground. I wouldn't want anyone on this list to get the
idea that isolating grounds is going to solve a radiated emissions problem
above 100 MHz. From the symptoms and the measurements you describe, it appears
that you are driving the cable relative to your circuit board ground with a CM
voltage produced directly by the PHY and insufficiently attenuated by the
connector magnetics. If you've maintained balance in your layout between the
PHY and the connector, you may need to consider using a different connector
with better CM rejection.

At these frequencies, nothing you do with your ground is going to improve upon
the solid plane that you currently have. Trying to establish separate grounds
that are at different potentials is likely to make things worse.

Todd

-----

Todd Hubing

LearnEMC<http://www.learnemc.com/>