[SI-LIST] Re: Emission level vary for same type of SATA cables but different vendors

  • From: "McCoy, Bart" <McCoy.Bart@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kunal.pisi@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 10:28:10 -0500

Preface:  I'm not an EMI expert, but I know some of the basics and know
little-nothing about SATA specifically

EMI is likely caused by common-mode currents of some type. =20

One easy source of common-mode currents is from phase/length skew.   If
one vendor has more length skew than the other, that will generate
common-mode currents.  Forgive me if I'm saying something you know--
just trying to be helpful.  =20

Length skew in the cables/connectors will cause one complement of a diff
pair to rise before the other.  This causes the common-mode (i.e.
"average" voltage to deviate from zero) in the switching region.  When
the shorter complement rises, the common-mode voltage blips up a little
in the switching region.  Then when the shorter complement falls, the
common-mode blips down a little in the switching region.  So the
common-mode blip will alternate above zero, below zero, above zero,
below zero... etc.  during the switching times.  This generates a crude
low-duty cycle "sine-looking" wave at HALF the data rate.  In other
words, if you're sending data at 1 Gbps (1 ns period), the common-mode
peak freq will be at 500 MHz.  If you see that, that *may* be a
signature of length skew problems.   It doesn't take a lot of length
skew to violate emissions.  =20

I did one far field CALCULATION earlier (using simplistic Hertzian
dipole assumption-- you can find that equation on the internet), for
example, and I found that 150 mils (~ 4mm) of length skew in a diff pair
(on a 5 meter cable) created a field strength of 90 uV/meter @ a
distance of 10 meters away... violating some FCC specs, depending on the
freq.  But the freq of interest is at that half-rate freq.

I've simulated this skew, then analyzed the results in Matlab with an
FFT-- it surprised me to find the half-rate peak in common-mode
current... which is what led me to discover this. =20

Does that makes sense?  Anyone else have input?  Am I way off base here?
Hope that helps.

        - Bart

=20
Bart McCoy                          Email:  McCoy.Bart@xxxxxxxx =09
Mayo Foundation=20
4001 41st Street NW=20
MSC Sn 2-107                        Phone:  (507) 538-5465
Rochester, MN 55901                 Fax:    (507) 284-9171

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody
will use it, ever."

Thomas Edison;  1889