[SI-LIST] Re: Embedded uStrip - double check me

  • From: kfrobinson@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 09:50:56 -0700

Bill,
A couple things to keep in mind.  Many tools model plating in such a way =
as to make the trace thicker and wider than its original size =
(electroless) when in fact your plating maybe done in such a way that it =
is only on top of the trace (electro) making it thicker only.  You may =
have noticed making a trace thicker (1/2oz to 1oz) has only a small =
effect on impedance.  So, if you ignore your plating I bet you will =
notice your numbers come in line with the fabrication house numbers.  =
Another factor that people need to keep in mind is that many of us have =
always assumed that 1/2 oz copper is .0007" thick.  Well it has come to =
my attention that core manufactures have decided to save themselves a =
buck of two and are depositing copper at the low end of the spec =
thickness.  I have had several samples measured and it is almost always =
.00063" thick for half oz copper.

Ken Robinson