[SI-LIST] Re: Embedded uStrip - double check me

  • From: "bdempsey85" <bdempsey85@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'WALKER, Mark'" <mark.walker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,<si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 10:25:14 -0600

Thanks to all who responded to this thread.  What I've seen so far is
that the calcs you guys are reporting are vvclose to what I get.
Another fabricator is dialing in the numbers to meet 50 ohms but didn't
have to go very far off my numbers.  The interesting thing is that he
too is using Isola FR406.  This makes me suspect the one stackup that
started this whole thread.

With regards to trace widths on the surface I have yet to have a squawk
regarding 5 mils traces...seems to be vanilla type production.  The
outer traces start their life out at 1/2 oz foil and get plated up
(producing the trapezoidal effect mentioned by one of the responders).
If you, and they, account for this it shouldn't be a problem.

Regards,
Bill

cross-section;
> [...]
large
> thickness, like this
>

>             _______________
>            /  ___________  \
> __________/  |   track   |  \_______________
> coating      |           |
>
> dielectric

> plane
>

> Coated microstrip
> H  4
> H1 0.8
> W  5
> W1 5
> T  2.1
> Er 4.3
> Zo 50.09 (calculated)
>
> Surface microstrip
> H  4
> H1 N/A (no coating)
> W  5
> W1 5
> T  2.1
> Er 4.3
> Zo 56.49 (calculated)
>
> Embedded microstrip
> H  6.9 (4 + 2.1 + 0.8)
> H1 4
> W  5
> W1 5
> T  2.1
> Er 4.3
> Zo 50.09 (calculated)
>
> From the similarity between the coated & embedded microstrip, it looks
> like
> the software is assuming the coating has the same Er as the
dielectric,
> which I should think is wrong. The dielectric coating is obviously
having
> an
> effect because the surface microstrip (which has no dielectric
material
> above it) has a significantly different Zo. There are more advanced
(and
> no
> doubt expensive) versions of the software available, which may allow a
> separate Er for the coating and a non-uniform cross-section. We also
have
> LinPar here, but I have not used it much. I believe there are free
field
> solvers about the web. A quick Google search should deliver, it just
> depends
> on your priorities & available time.
>
> If you can, just stick to pads & fat traces on the pad layer. If you
must
> have real skinny traces on the pad layer and can't make the copper any
> thinner or dielectric any thicker, you are going against conventional
> wisdom
> and making life difficult so you will have to go the extra mile to
ensure
> you get what you want.
>
> Also remember that PCB fabrication is not yet an exact science and
most
> vendors will only guarantee impedance to an accuracy of +/- 10%
anyway,
> although this is usually good enough, provided the nominal value is

calculations.
> I am getting feedback from my PCB fabricator that my numbers are >10%
> off.
>
> Here are the parameters:
> 5 mil wide trace, 0.5 foil with add'l 1oz plating (approx 2.1 mils
> thickness)
> 4 mil trace to plane, Er ~ 4.3
> LPI soldermask ~ 0.8 mils thick
>
> I compute 51 ohms...how about you?
>
> Thanks,
> Bill

> List archives are viewable at:
>

> This email is for the intended addressee only.
> If you have received it in error then you must not use, retain,
> disseminate or otherwise deal with it.
> Please notify the sender by return email.
> The views of the author may not necessarily constitute the views of
EADS
> Astrium Limited.
> Nothing in this email shall bind EADS Astrium Limited in any contract
or
> obligation.
>
> EADS Astrium Limited, Registered in England and Wales No. 2449259
> Registered Office: Gunnels Wood Road, Stevenage, Hertfordshire, SG1
2AS,
> England

List archives are viewable at: