[SI-LIST] Re: Electrostatic HiZ PCBs

  • From: "Plesa, James T." <james.plesa@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bbolton@xxxxxx>, "si-list" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 03:11:43 -0500

Bryce,

Buy rather than build would be good if possible, because this will
involve some craftmanship. If you're making more than a few or you can't
buy what you need, then you might start thinking of hard encapsulants.
You could inexpensively epoxy-pot your (hopefully few) high-Z discretes
in a mold, hand wired to the input leads of your amplifier. The rest of
the first-stage amplifier IC (sans input pins) could perhaps be
FR4-mounted and preferably epoxy-encapsulated in the same mold. This
approach comes to mind because even though you may find a suitable 10^17
ohm resistivity material, you will still probably need to encapsulate to
control surface moisture and contamination (unless you can otherwise
maintain a dry laboratory environment for the input network). So if your
input network is small and simple, and you're not making the
electrometers in high volume, you could avoid the teflon PCB. I mention
this possibility not because of teflon PCB cost, but because of the NRE
associated with finding a teflon-TCE-matched hard encapsulant; or a soft
(teflon-TCE-tolerant) encapsulant that maintains wator-vapor-seal over
humidity thermocycling, or another means of environmental protection.=20

There are many other good approaches. Parylene conformal coatings, for
instance, meet your resistivity requirement and have comparatively low
production cost. But there is a learning curve with parylene and it may
not be compatible with your full environmental requirement. The same is
true of the multiplicity of other approaches. So bulk epoxy
encapsulation of the high-Z network and of the low-Z portion of the
amplifier on FR-4 (the low-Z FR-4 network is epoxy-compatible in this
case) is not a bad starting point. A 20-3651 epoxy has 5^16 ohm-cm
resistivity, and comfortably satisfies what is eventually the critical
constraint for your ultra-high resistance application: adhesion (eg
environmental protection through the interfaces).=20

Note: I think it would be difficult to constrain FR-4 manufacture to
10^17, or to maintain 10^17 in FR-4 after manufacture without measures
as above, which would make the high-Z FR-4 concept moot.  =20

Jim Plesa
Northrop Grumman Corporation =20

 =20