[SI-LIST] Effect of Via

  • From: sunil bharadwaz <sunil_bharadwaz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SI LIST <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2008 08:03:46 -0800 (PST)

Hi ,
I'am doing a form factor board where  few signals are brought from top layer to
the bottom layer with thru hole Via's.On the bottom layer these signals will
be connected to the square pads laying on the edges of the PCB.The Via
from the top layer directly goes to the bottom side square pad.The PCB's
are 4 to 6 layers.

These form factor boards with sqaure pads will be soldered to another Mother
board , where you can access these signals.

I have a 100 Mhz clock as one signal.I'am using via sizes of  6 mil drill & 10
mil pads.
Would be safe to increase the drill size & the pad size.

If one of the signal is an 5.0 Ghz RF signal , is it safer to use bigger via's.
I have no access to EM simulator at this time..

Can some one pls throw some light on this.I would also like to know the
approx inductance & capacitance for these Via's.

Thanks in Advance !!

Best Regards
Sunil.b

List technical documents are available at: