[SI-LIST] Re: ESR too low?

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dp@xxxxxxxxxxx, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 21:16:41 -0800

Dimiter, I've got to disagree there.  While it did take almost 20 years for
the SMPS IC makers to discover the joys of constant on and constant off
time parts, ( a '123 to you, a CMOS 555, or digital counter off a high
speed clock to others ), they have been available now for several
years.  LTC has several very nice parts.  I hope the POLA guys update with
these, because right now the POLA converters have really mediocre
of magnitude ( a couple to a few cycles for full recovery ) faster than
constant frequency units you rightfully disdain.  As a result, the
effective inductance is much smaller, and they remain stable with much
lower ESR caps than constant frequency controllers.

This newer breed of controller have a lot more housekeeping functions than
you will get with a home grown comparator / op-amp / one-shot
solution.  And the control function in a little SSOP or SSOIC is going to
be a whole lot smaller as well, with less opportunity for stray pick-up and
other issues multi chip solutions impose.    New entrants into the field
are offering digitally controlled loops with some impressive specs as
well.   It would be nice if these parts were also very cheap, but we know
better than to expect that.

Steve.

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: