[SI-LIST] Re: ESD strips on board edge

  • From: "Curt McNamara" <CurtM@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>, <davidjp@xxxxxxx>, <koh-yew.thoon@xxxxxx>, "SI-List" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 10:41:28 -0500

I think the first place I saw ESD strips mentioned in print was Henry
Ott's
_Noise Reduction Techniques in Electronic Systems_ Here are a couple of
things
we do:

Cut the planes back from the board edge so the ESD strip is the first
piece
of metal that an ESD event could couple to.

Put ESD strips on top and bottom and tie them together with vias
regularly
(1cm or so).=20

Connect the ESD strip to the "RF Ground". This will be the largest piece
of=20
metal that energy could couple to. It may or may not be your circuit
ground!
If it *is* your circuit ground make this connection in a place where
energy cannot
travel across the plane and damage devices.

                                                        Curt

Curt McNamara. P.E.=20
Senior Electrical Engineer=20
Logic Product Development=20
411 Washington Ave. N Suite 101=20
Minneapolis, MN 55401=20
Tel 612-436-5178=20
Fax 612-672-0443=20
curtm@xxxxxxxxxxx=20
www.logicpd.com=20
protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you should
copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action
based on it, is strictly prohibited.