[SI-LIST] Re: ESD solution on antenna output (re-send)

  • From: Ian Barrett <Ibarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 18:34:26 -0000

OK update. Thanks again for all the replies, it has certainly helped to
clarify things in my mind.

The device is a 400MHz transmitter that fits in the palm of your hand, and
the failure mechanism in nothing to do with the output stage - another part
of the circuit is going into a lock-up that requires a power cycle to reset.
Parallel work is looking at exactly how and why this is happening, but I am
looking at how the ESD is coupling into the circuit in the first place.

I have tried the experiment below - short the antenna to ground - and the
circuit locks-up. When I completely isolate the antenna (from the output
stage and any surrounding ground plane) it survives. Unfortunately,
insulating the antenna as someone suggested, is not an option.

Ian.