[SI-LIST] Re: ESD, shoes, and hospitals...

  • From: Bill Wurst <billw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rchundru_umr@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 06:58:59 -0500

Patrick,

There are at least three variables here:
1) the material with which the shoe is constructed (keep in mind that
heel and sole may be different),
2) the flooring material, and
3) humidity level.
The charge generated should be proportional to the separation of those
materials in the triboelectric table.  To test the charge build up on a
person you should get a static field meter which will give you a reading
in kV.  I believe that the meter should be held by person grounded
through the conventional ESD wrist strap in close proximity to the
person wearing the shoes under test.

While I doubt that special ESD floors would be practical in your
situation, there is a wealth of information on such flooring material as
well as how floors contribute to ESD in general at:
        http://staticworx.com/
Aside from banning shoes made of certain materials, one variable that
could be controlled in a hospital environment is humidity.  Another
possibility is to use ion generators near sensitive equipment.  Free
ions will help dissipate the charge on insulators.  Many electronics
labs today are installing conductive flooring material (see ANSI/ESD
S7.1-2005 Resistive Characterization of Materials–Floor Materials for
more information) and requiring personnel to wear ESD shoes or foot
straps to prevent damage to very sensitive components.  Equipment
manufacturers, as Tom pointed out, should have built in ESD protection
and done the testing to prove its worthiness.  But protection can only
safeguard to a certain level.  Dry environments and certain materials
may exceed those levels.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
     -Bill