[SI-LIST] Re: ESD protectioin at a Digital Input

  • From: "Vinod Kumar" <vinodsaharan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Doug Smith" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Vivekkumar M-ERS,HCLTech" <Vivekkumarm@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 21:00:51 +0530

Hi All,

For handheld battery operated devices, we don't have a  GND EARTH normally.
So in this case how should we connect the ESD device?

We generally have a separate noise GND and all the ESD devices are
terminated to this. This GND is connected to signal GND at one point. But as
explained at  http://emcesd.com/tt2009/tt020309.htm , if the common GND
point is far away from ESD device, it can render the protection ineffective.

But if a large single GND plane is used and all the ESD devices are
connected to this ground, the excess energy will be shunted to this GND.
Will this not affect the other devices through GND pins of ICs which do not
have any ESD protection (as all the devices are using same GND)?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Regards,
Vinod