[SI-LIST] Re: ESD failure - need advise

  • From: "Orin Laney" <olaney@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 00:38:14 -0700

Which is why I run a separate wire.

-----Original Message-----
From: si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Douglas Smith
Sent: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 12:00 AM
To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [SI-LIST] Re: ESD failure - need advise

 I do not find simple general rules like this to be useful. On average,
systems with circuit and chassis ground strongly interconnected do best for
ESD immunity. I have confirmed this over hundreds of systems and thousands
ofmeasurements. There is always a possibility of an exception.
That wire carrying ESD to chassis can induce tens to hundreds of Volts/inch
in nearby conductors!

Doug
On 9/23/14 4:16 PM, Orin Laney wrote:
One useful strategy is to provided a trace, metal rail, etc. to intercept
thezap and conduct it directly to the chassis without sharing with circuit
grounds. In other words, it's a lightning rod. Somewhere else in the system
the chassis and circuit are presumably tied together, but not as part of
thispath. Shunting the zap works better than trying to prevent it with
insulation and distance. Orin -----Original Message----- From:
si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx[1] [mailto:si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx[2]] On
Behalf Of Ramesh N Sent: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 3:48 PM To:
si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx[3] Subject: [SI-LIST] ESD failure - need advise Hello
Experts, Greetings!!! we are having ESD fail (in regulatory testing) in one
of our design. It's simple wireless DAQ system with 2 boards [controller PCB
+ LED/Sensor PCB]. FPC cable (5") is used as interconnect.Package is abs
plastics. Light-pipe is used for the for led indication. When +8kV is
appliedthrough air discharging, inadvertent LED trigger occurs . Randomly,
system is also hanging when multiple zapping applied (especially for 8kV
voltage level). I have tried to limit airgaps, added filter caps, etc but
issue is not entirely solved. Is there any ESD simulation/analysis tool
available for addressing this failure analysis? Any help/debug tips related
to this would be very helpful. Thanks and regards, Ramesh

--- Links ---
   1 mailto:si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
   2 mailto:si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
   3 mailto:si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx