[SI-LIST] Re: ESD failure - need advise

  • From: keithK EPD <epd2001usa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx" <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>, "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 20:16:53 -0400

i have successfully put an exposed copper pad with a esd device connected to
chassis ground to bleed off any charge incurred (generated) by the lightpipe
POF.
the light pipe holder (LED holder) is placed flush with the surface of the PCB.
 The
esd gap is very small and the static charge jumps the air gap - then dissipated
through
the diode array to chassis gnd.   Not GND - keeping it "isolated" - kinda .....
it works
really well with light pipes (no mask in that area of the exposed copper),
oxidation
of the copper has yet to be a problem.

I hope this gives you an idea or two.

keith kowal